Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Cheese Ball

I love cheese. I do. Who doesn't? Well actually, I know someone who doesn't, but for the most part, people enjoy cheese. Jason had his final conducting master's recital yesterday and I made the food for the reception, so it was the perfect opportunity to try my hand at making...a cheese ball! And honestly, it was so simple and so SO delicious! Creamy, nutty, flavorful cheesy goodness. And since the holidays are upon us, I thought it would be an opportune time to share the yummy recipe I found at Cooking for Seven with all of you. *If you're watching your calories or cholesterol, if you use all reduced fat products, it would probably still taste yummy...don't quote me on that, but it's definitely worth a shot!

Favorite Cheese Ball

1 8-oz package of cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup finely(or fancy) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cayenne powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

1) Place all ingredients except pecans in a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on low speed until well combined. (Seriously, this can get crazy. I almost shot cheesy clumps around the kitchen while using our hand mixer because the recipe said medium-low...so no, pulse the mixer if you can and go slowly...or hand mix well until combined.)

2) Scrape the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Cover with the plastic wrap and shape into a ball (or log). Put the cheese ball on a plate (still wrapped) and place in the fridge to harden, about 1 hour.

3) Remove ball from fridge, unwrap, and roll the ball in the chopped pecans. (You can toast pecans in a dry frying pan on low heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning, until they become lightly toasted and fragrant). Place back in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavors to blend. When ready to serve, place on a plate or platter and serve with crackers or pita chips.

*Have fun experimenting with different cheeses and spices! I think this would be amazing with bacon added in, or with fresh rosemary, or even dried fruit like cranberries or apricot pieces. Enjoy!



5 comments:

denise said...

This sounds so yummy! I'll have to try making it! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for the taste...truly yummie!!! I'm going to make it this holiday season too. Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh man...CHEEEESE!!! You're speaking my language, girl. :-)

Anonymous said...

it was DELICIOUS!!!
I mean DELICIOUS!!!!

~Keri

ConnieB said...

I was just telling my husband I wish I made a cheese ball for Christmas. I'm gonna try this sometime! yum (: