Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Remembered

11 years ago today, we watched in horror as thousands of innocent people lost their lives. We were witness to a moment in history that forever changed our world. I think it is safe to say that if asked, each one of us could definitively recall where we were on that day, what we were doing, what we remember thinking. I know I can. Last year on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks, I wrote about what I remembered from that day, what I was doing, what I recall thinking. This year, I want to reminisce about what happened after September 11, 2001, in the days, weeks, months, even year following the attacks. Why? Because it holds significance and it matters.

We united. 

In extremely uncertain times, the people of this nation came together. We stood together against a common foe and remembered our roots. American flags appeared in droves in shop windows, private residences, on cars, on newspaper front covers, on flyers, toys, everywhere. They waved proudly and when The Star Spangled Banner played during memorial services for the fallen or sporting events in the months following the attacks, Americans wept. The words of an anthem we learned as children suddenly held new meaning. Admist the turmoil on our soil, admist the loss of our American brothers and sisters, amidst volatile times, even before the dust began to clear and we started to rebuild, our flag still waved, it still stood for the land of the free and home of the brave. 

This being an election year, I think it is important to remember that we are all Americans. Whether you vote for the left or the right come November, we are all united by the red, white and blue of the flag that we all cherish, the flag that stands as a reminder of who we are. We are strong. We are survivors. I am proud to be an American, and I will never forget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Sweetie, so well said! I too am proud of our country and I shall never forget! Love you, Mom